Monday, March 17, 2014

Between the Liars and Their Lies



Why do people lie? What is a lie? A lie is basically an intentional false statement. There are different types of lies that one could research on the net. The type of lie that I think is most common is the one that covers something up, a secret. I have heard of the “white lie” where supposedly the lie protects the well being of an individual. There may be other forms of using a lie but the bottom line is that a lie is a lie. I’ll admit to lying at different points in my life and I’m not happy about doing that but I will fully admit to it.


I don’t want to justify lying period, I’m just explaining the difference between the functionality of these lies so I can introduce the lie I call the pointless lie. The pointless lie is the one that is told with no reasoning behind it. In my experience dealing with people who lie, do it out of boredom to see what they can stir up. Hypothetically, if you and I are the only ones in the kitchen and you ask me “Did you finish the dish soap, Edith?” after I have just washed the dishes, and I say “No” (not being sarcastic). Given that I used dish soap for dish washing, I clearly just lied to your face! How would that make you feel? Personally, I’d be pissed off because the other person is challenging my intelligence. This gets me mad because in this situation there is no bad consequence for telling the truth, so why lie?


Lying in general will not get you very far because sooner or later the truth is bound to come out somewhere. Like Twain said “If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.” People who lie have to keep track of the lies they say and they wouldn’t have to keep lying if the truth was there to begin with. Every time you think about telling a white lie think about how you would feel if you were the person being lied to, wouldn’t you prefer your friends to be honest with you? Once you find out the truth your relationship won’t be the same, you wouldn’t be able to trust that person anymore and you could lose the people you love.


The next time you feel compelled to protect someone by telling a white lie, or just lie in general, think about the future effort you have to make to cover up the lies. It’s best to tell the truth even if it hurts and hope that the other person values your honesty, it will also be beneficial to you because your conscience will be clear.

Thanks for listening, happy Monday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment