Wednesday, September 3, 2014

What is Your Super Power? To Infinity and Beyond.


Become a doctor. Become a lawyer. Become an engineer. Become an Architect. ...the list can go on for days. If you have ever heard this from anyone close to you, you know exactly what I am talking about. For a major chunk of my life I was told that I was going to become a doctor, and for a majority of that chunk I believed it, but as I got older I realized that this was infact NOT what I wanted to be. Just the thought of being in school for a really long time, and all those science classes … no thanks! NOT FOR ME! This is MY life, and only I live with the choices I make. Likewise, YOU are the one who lives with YOUR decisions, so make them worth your while. The trick to being happy and successful, is taking the time to figure out what you are actually good at, your superpower!!! You will only be happy with life if you wake up every morning doing what you love and being surrounded by people you love. So figure out what your super power is, it is never too late.

It is ok if you do not know what you want to do with your life… hell … I am still trying to figure that out (maybe I will ALWAYS be trying to figure that out). The fact of the matter is that we are constantly changing, so why do we seem to think that we cannot change our careers as well? Is it because we have worked so hard to build up our careers in the first place? But how does that help anyone if YOU are not happy? Hard work and determination will ALWAYS pay off no matter what your current situation is, you just need to stay focused and keep your eyes on the prize. Each individual has the power to succeed and if you believe that your environment is holding you back … just think of it as an obstacle that no one else has had to face, and will make you a stronger person because of it! In order to make this work for you, you need to figure out what you are good at and build on those skills rather than spend too much time trying to fix what needs fixing. It is completely fine if your superpower is saving people’s lives in the emergency room, or putting up buildings, just as long as you are not being forced into that profession.

When I was in high school I had a friend who was a well rounded student, and she was good at EVERYTHING. When high school was nearing an end we were talking about what our plans were for the future. Her interests were within the art field. However, her parents wanted her to become a pediatrician. She was to spend the next few years of her life working hard toward THAT goal .. her parent’s dream. I have since lost touch with this friend, but I hope she is happy with the decision she has made … who knows, maybe she is still doing art on the side. This friend of mine made the choice to listen to what her parents wanted of her to do, but she did not take the time to examine her superpower. Her passion was art, not sick little kids! This one story is a reflection of where we can go wrong by trying to pick our superpower and not maximizing on our natural talents.  

So, how do you figure out what your super power is? … You get out there and do things you thought you would NEVER do, live a little and step out of your comfort zone. Even travel to a place you have never been before. I have never met anyone who did not benefit from the experience of venturing into the unknown, there is always something to be gained. A few months back I took a job at a marketing firm, I had NEVER done anything like this before. It was completely new to me, but I soon realized that this was not for me. I am grateful for the experience, I learned a lot and met some great people in the process. In the end, I could not see myself being happy at this job … this fortunately was NOT my superpower. If I did not step out of my comfort zone to take this job, I would not have known that this was NOT my cup of tea. This experience left me room to grow so I could find my strong suit.

You will always be able to come up with excuses as to why you should not do something .. but what if … and only IF, you decide to step out of your reality, you might find something, universe forbid, that you enjoy! :O What if this one thing altered your universe for the better? You will become a happier person and develop a purpose for living, and will be surrounded by people who mean the world to you. SO, do it! No more “what if's” or “but’s.” That is what a SUPERPOWER feels like.

~Find yo’ POWER!

No comments:

Post a Comment