Thursday, April 3, 2014

Gossip: Ain't Nobody Got Time For That!


Gossip, I don’t care if people gossip, I just HATE it when I am put in the middle and people think it is ok to talk to me about other people. The way I see it is if I cannot say something to someone’s face then I will not say it behind their back. I know that I am not a perfect person, and I know that there are so many things that I need to improve on. I feel that I do not need to waste my time and energy talking about others, there are not enough hours in a day to improve one’s self so why spend valuable time talking about others? I could care less about who did what to who and why, and when and how. No one is perfect, and no one can ever be perfect. Perfection is an ideal that only lives in our heads, and we will never reach that ideal because it is constantly changing.


Sometimes we may say things out of anger and frustration, and we gossip without being aware that we’re doing it. I do not want to excuse this form of gossip but we are not in the right frame of mind and probably shouldn't do it. Anger is an emotion that clouds our judgment. You know how they say you should not make a major decision when you are mad? … same thing applies here. No matter how cliche I sound I strongly believe that you have to be the change you wish to see in the world. I do not like gossip, I do not see how it benefits anyone, so I choose not to participate. With that being said, there have been times where I am angry and frustrated and I just need to vent! However, I later try to go back and see how I can make the situation better for all parties involved. Ridding the world of gossip (I know impossible … but I like to try) is one of the changes I would like to see, so like MJ said, “I am starting with the [wo]man in the mirror.”


The other form of gossip that is never okay is the entertainment form, when people talk about others to entertain themselves. Often times people do it to uplift themselves. For example take a look at the entertainment industry, more and more people watch reality TV just to know what is happening in other people’s lives. Without gossip there would not be an entertainment industry. It is in human nature to want to know what is happening in someone else's life, but it takes away your focus on your own problems. It is also in human nature to not want to face your problems, gossiping about others is a nice little distraction from your reality. Distractions are ok as long as no one is getting hurt. What you say about someone else can be harmful to them, you do not know how your words may affect the other person.


Another popular saying I would like to touch upon is treating others how you wish to be treated. I know that I would not appreciate when other people talk about me behind my back, so I do not do it to others. How would you feel if you were in the other person’s shoes? When people talk about others it is a sort of “pick me up” for them, they want to make themselves feel better, so they clown on someone else’s life. Jesse Jackson said it best “Never look down on someone unless you are helping them up.” nuff said.


~Ta

No comments:

Post a Comment